Assessment and curriculum are interconnected. Curriculum sets the learning standards that give focus to classroom instruction and assessment. Assessment involves the wide variety of methods or tools that educators use to identify student learning needs, measure competency acquisition, and evaluate students’ progress toward meeting provincial learning standards.
B.C.’s educational assessment system strives to support student learning by providing timely, meaningful information on student learning through multiple forms of assessment. BC’s New Curriculum – Assessment Page https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/assessment
NLPS Assessment Tool
Island Numeracy Assessment
The new math Island Numeracy Assessment that has been developed by the Island Numeracy Network is different from the previously used DMA. It is no longer a diagnostic assessment, which means it is not necessary to do the whole assessment at the beginning of the year. This also means that there will be no numerical score from the assessment. The INA (Island Numeracy Assessment) is intended to be formative and when it is marked, teachers are looking for trends and patterns in understanding of larger mathematical concepts in their students. The INA is composed of components of numeracy that can be assessed separately. It is fully aligned with the new curriculum as well as formatted to align with the FSA and the Graduation Numeracy assessment. On the website you will find the protocol that has more information and suggestions for how to use the assessment.
You are encouraged to use the assessment flexibly to meet the needs of your own teaching practice and your students. For more support with the Island Numeracy Assessment please contact Amanda Kiatipis, Instruction and Assessment Coordinator via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Supporting Assessment Information
- Foundation Skills Assessment: Description and Specifications - June 2017
- Educator Update: Foundation Skills Assessment Redesign - June 2017
- Educator Update: Classroom Assessment - March 2017
- Grades 10-12 Educator Update - January 2017
- Graduation Assessments: Design Framework and Assessment Structure - January 2017
- Capstone Project - October 2016
- Advisory Group on Provincial Assessment Final Report - September 2015
- Advisory Group on Provincial Assessment Report I - June 2014
- Enabling Innovation: Transforming Curriculum and Assessment - August 2012